Get more years from your carpet investment. If you treat your carpet right, it’ll last much longer, saving you money in the long run.
Check out these tips for the right way to treat your carpet.
Invest in a good quality carpet
One way to determine the quality of carpet is to check the density by bending the carpet sample backward. If you can see the backing easily, it’s a low-density, lower-quality carpet that will crush more easily.
Investing in a good quality carpet at the start goes a long way in prolonging the carpet’s life.
Invest in the right underlay
The right pad will extend the life of your carpet, and the wrong pad can cut the life of your carpet in half. The quality of carpet pad is determined by density, not thickness. A good-quality pad will be 1 to 2 cm thick and have a density/weight rating of at least 2.5kg (the residential standard). In most cases, cheap, low-density pad will only last a few years before it needs to be replaced. For high-traffic areas, get a thinner pad with a density of 3.5kg or more.
Hire the right carpet cleaner
Most carpet manufacturers recommend professional hot-water extraction as the primary cleaning method for synthetic carpets. The best strategy is to hire a professional carpet cleaner every year or two and clean the carpet yourself between pro cleanings.
If you have family members who are susceptible to allergies or respiratory conditions, then steam clean the carpet at least twice a year. You may also want to consider more regular steam cleaning in winter to minimise risks of contacting the flu or cold virus.
Here are some hiring tips:
- Hire a pro who uses truck-mounted equipment rather than portable steam cleaning equipment. Truck-mounted equipment exhausts the dirty air and humidity outside. Its stronger suction leaves carpets drier, too.
- Ask for a high-pressure rinse. This agitates the pile and neutralizes the carpet’s pH.
- Ask the pro to set furniture on blocks or pads after cleaning. This prevents stains from transferring from furniture legs to the damp carpet.
- Be sure the estimate includes everything—such as furniture moving, vacuuming (some charge extra for this), routine spot removal, preconditioning and deodorizing as part of a standard cleaning package.
- Hire only accredited carpet cleaners. That way, you will know the company will clean to Australian standards and have qualified technicians.
- Ask if they can give you a satisfaction guarantee. Some carpet cleaners in Sydney like DryTech Carpet Cleaning gives satisfaction guarantee service. This means that they will come out to your property to clean again for free if you are not happy with them.
- Check that the carpet company can come out to your property at a suitable time. You don’t want a company that is inflexible with their time.
- Read their reviews and testimonials to see what other customers think of their services.
- Ask about insurance. You don’t want a company that is not insured because if their staff suffered an injury while cleaning in your home, you could be liable.
- Compare prices with more than one company but don’t go overboard with the comparisons. Two or three will do as industry prices are quite standard.
How to hide carpet runs
If you have a running snag in carpet with woven loops, don’t worry. You can make a repair so perfect that it will be invisible to everyone but you. All it takes is scissors, a small screwdriver, tape and some carpet adhesive, which is available at home centers.
Gently tug the loose yarn to find the point where it’s still firmly attached to the backing. Snip it off as close to the backing as possible.
Protect nearby carpet with tape and apply a bead of carpet adhesive into the run. Use a screwdriver to press each “scab”—spots where bits of backing cling to the yarn—into the adhesive.
Clean up pet spills
If your pet has an accident on the carpet, act fast. Urine can damage fibers and even change the color of carpet.
First, soak up the urine with white paper towels. Printed patterns can bleed colour into the carpet. Press hard to soak up as much as possible. Then add about a quarter-teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to a cup of lukewarm water. (Don’t use the detergent you use with your dishwasher.)
Next, apply the soapy water. Soak the area thoroughly with paper towels. Then blot the area with dry paper towels and repeat this wet-and- dry process at least once. Follow up with clear water to rinse out the detergent and blot the carpet dry again.
Finally, apply one part white vinegar mixed with two parts water and blot the carpet one last time. Cover the damp area with about 20 layers of paper towels and a heavy stack of books. Change the towels again and again until they no longer absorb moisture.
Clean up household spills
Water will usually do the job for most kinds of spills. If that doesn’t work consider a simple baking soda or white vinegar solution can help.
When removing stains, always blot gently not rub. Use absorbent paper towels and rinse with water using a clean microfiber cloth each time. Be patient and work on the spot gently but consistently. Always dry the spot completely after.
Difficult or large stains can be handled by a professional carpet cleaning company in Sydney.
Get a mat
To protect your carpet, place a water-absorbent mat inside your door for wet or snow-covered shoes and boots.
Place a coarse-textured mat outside your door to remove soil. Eighty-five percent of the dirt in a home is carried in on shoes! A doormat helps to prevent that. Also, encourage everyone to take off their shoes when inside the house.
It pays to keep your carpets clean. Cleaning them regularly and correctly can help you prolong the carpet life.
Call DryTech Carpet Cleaning to help keep your carpet lasting longer.
DryTech Carpet Cleaning is one of Sydney’s best domestic cleaning and carpet cleaning companies. For more information about our wide range of services or a free quote call: 0408 578 918 or email: email@example.com